Utah Indian Education Bill HB-0033, titled American Indian Alaska Native Education, passed both the Utah House and Senate and is ready for the Governor’s signature. We posted previously about HB-0033 here. The version of the bill as passed can be seen here.
- enacts a chapter providing for an American Indian-Alaskan Native Education State Plan, including:
- defining terms;
- providing the position of American Indian-Alaskan Native Public Education Liaison;
- requiring reporting to the Native American Legislative Liaison Committee;
- creating the American Indian-Alaskan Native Education Commission;
- establishing the duties of the commission; and
- providing for the adoption of a state plan to address the educational achievement gap of the state’s American Indian-Alaskan Native students; and
- makes technical and conforming amendments.