“The Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) continues progress toward Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) promise of equity and real opportunity for every child. Indian education has been a partner throughout this 50-year education effort. Most provisions of ESSA do not take effect until after the 2016-2017 school year, so programs currently are operating under the rules in place prior to the enactment of ESSA. The Department plans to issue revised guidance with regard to funds that are made available for the 2017-2018 school year under the provisions of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act as amended by the ESSA.”
Topics of the 2016 Tribal Consultation include the following:
- Consultation and communication between local school districts and tribes
- Indian Education, Title VI (formerly VII)
- BIE inclusion in the legislation
- Revitalization and preservation of native languages and culture
- Improving school climate and suicide prevention
For more information and to register for the consultation (In person-or virtual), please go to http://www.edtribalconsultations.org. We strongly recommend tribal leaders to attend!